The objective of Emergency Action Plans is to introduce the concept of active safety, setting up mechanisms and procedures that allow:
- Early detection of risk scenarios and determination of mitigation measures that need to be taken
- Reduction of potential consequences on human life, services, and the environment if any failure mode develops
The process is made up of the following stages:
- Definition of Emergency Action Plan
- Design of Implementation Project
- Implementation of the system (works, facilities, software)
OFITECO’s references include the preparation of more than 30 EAPs and the implementation of more than 10 solutions.
This great experience helped us to offer high quality services, and define Emergency Action Plans that are not only technically and administratively correct, but also practical and easily implemented.
Definition of Emergency Action Plans
Dam Emergency Action Plans generally include a safety analysis (setting up the first steps for an emergency response), determination of potentially flooded areas, estimation of damages (dam break analysis), and definition of operation procedures, workflows, and human and material resources.
OFITECO uses advanced computer tools for dam break analysis and flood routing such as DAMBREAK, HEC-RAS, MIKE 11, MIKE 21, InfoWorks ICM, and IBER
Design and implementation of dam emergency action plans
The objective of the Implementation is to set up means and resources for the proper management of the EAP, for quick and effective communication with all institutions involved, and if necessary, to activate an alert system for the population downstream.
OFITECO always carries out a first analysis of the possible options, choosing in each specific case the best one.
OFITECO has software tools to carry out radio coverage studies (communication between siren posts and the Emergency Room) and acoustic coverage (checking the sound level required for populated areas).
The Implementation of an EAP encompasses the following actions:
- Lay out civil works and facilities, and equipment procurement
- Implementation of Emergency Rooms
- Installation of Warning System for the Population, WSP
- Telecommunications and power supply
- Implementation of the Communication Management System
- Implementation of the Incidence Management System
- Setting up informative systems
- Public information